Friday, June 26, 2009

Just when you think you'veseen it all!


Hi everyone. This is probably going to be our last post since we begin heading home tomorrow. (Sat.) A few more moments of excitement before we sit for 16 hrs on a plane. Our game drive last evening was just so we could look for some birds, that's what our guide told us. No sooner had we left camp then a very old leopard tortoise blocked the road. It was quite large and we decided to use this moment for yet another photo op. After gently moving him to the side we were off again. Soon a few land rovers were spotted in the distance and we decided to go see what everyone was looking at. Yeah!! It was a great decision. There were 3 cheetah brothers all lazily walking through the grass looking for their dinner. After following them for approx. 20 min. ( and lots of the other rovers moving on to other things) we got the experience of a lifetime - watching the three work together to make a kill! It was incredibly organized without either of the cats communicating with each other. They were able to creep up upon a grazing group of impala and as soon as the leader began his run the herd split and took off in two directions. That's where the other two were waiting. One got very lucky and took down the dominant male of the herd. We quickly moved our vehicle into position and watched the struggle for survival by both species. Off course the cheetahs won and their empty bellies were filled. Yes, there are pictures of this too. After deciding to leave them to their meal we headed off to see what else was around. Once again no birds but a cute family of elephants eating peacefully nearby. Our driver took us in close for a look and turned off the engine so we could watch without disturbing them. I guess that worked for all but one. A young female decided she wanted a closer look at this weird contraption and came very close. How close, you may ask - close enough that I was almost sitting in Paul's lap (on the other side of the rover) as she came right up to my window. She them circled around to the front and we held our breath as she decided whether she liked us or not. I guess we passed whatever test she was giving because with a nod of her head and a flick of her ears, she turned and walked off to join the others. So much for birds. We knew not to tempt fate and headed back to camp for showers and dinner.
One again dinner was delicous with both Gerard and his wife, Rainee hosting us. Before I knew it, there were a few candles on a cake being brought my way. I guess you don't turn 50 quietly out here. I blew out the candles and was told I was to cut the cake for everyone. I did my best, but the knife wasn't cooperating. It just wouldn't cut and I was a little embarrassed. I has a little help from Paul and Gerard and was then told I was to have the first piece. Now it all became clear - The cake was made from elephant dung and iced over for a good laugh. No, I didn't have to taste it as a beautiful second chocolate cake came out next. For a change I laughed instead of cried.
( I had already done that when I remembered that Nicole had graduated from MOHS and it was the first major event I'd missed in her life)
It's Friday afternoon now as I post - Paul and I just got back from a traditional Maasi market where they bought and sold their cows, sheep and just about anything needed for their homes. It was like a big american flea market.
Hope all is well and we really miss you. We'll see you all soon.
Lots of love to everyone.

Sue & Paul

1 comment:

  1. Sue & Paul,
    Wow! The excitement continues. I bet you wish you had more time.
    By the way, I don't know if you get much news in the bush but just to let you know, Michael Jackson died of a heart attack at age fifty.
    For Paul, unfortunately he missed one of the greatest upsets in world soccer.
    The U.S. beat Spain, who had won 15 consecutive world matches, by the score of 2-0.
    Unbelievable in the eyes of most of the commentators.
    Well, things are winding down and we will see you at JFK on Sunday. We have you scheduled to arrive at 12:50 pm.on Lufthansa. Enjoy the rest of your stay.
    Love Mom & Dad

    ReplyDelete