We made it. Sorry, but the camels didn't carry computers and Tassia doesn't get reception. I'll tell you my side of the camel trek & then Paul can tell you his. First - not a leisurely stroll alongside the camels - more like 4 1/2 hours of walking up hill and down hill, across dry riverbeds across plains etc. Second - all hiking is done in the morning, usually from 7 - 11 am, approx 8- 10 miles before stopping at camp - not the few short hikes separated by some breaks I had imagined. Third (and I think Paul will agree) - one of the things I wouldn't have missed for anything. We came across all sorts of birds and a family of elephants on the way. I even had to run behind a tree with our guide as a herd of male elephants came up beside us. Paul got some great pictures again. There's a another whole view of wildlife from their level. We also had some of the best nights sleep under the stars. Charlie Wheeler was a great guide, so much information about every aspect of the bush and lots of great conversations over dinner & Jamesons. I believe this was one of Paul's favorite father's days. It was his turn to get teary eyed when I gave him the cards that Cory snuck into my bag before I left.
We arrived on foot at the land rovers to take us to Tassia Lodge fairly early Monday morning. A Beautiful lodge built into the side of a ridge. All the individual rooms/lodges are open air.
Our windows looked out over the plains and the sunrise woke you up in the morning and the open air showers were refreshing. Our mornings were spent hiking in the forests at the top of the mountain ranges, our afternoons sitting around the pool or on the veranda overlooking the animal watering hole, and the evenings hiking, eating wonderful food and chatting with the two young managers, Antonia and Martin, better known to us as Tarzan and Jane. Tassia is an eco-camp and a community supported tourism camp. Everything is meant to be low impact on the environment with mostly solar electricity and is built all from fallen timber. The lodge is run mostly to provide benefit to the local tribes. We also visited some of the caves that the local people had been living in, believe it or not, as recently as 1996.
Love and kisses to all, we miss you and will be home soon.
Love Sue and Paul
Sue & Paul,
ReplyDeleteSounds like a little bumpy going in the beginning with the Camels but it sounds like it was a very interesting part of your journey.
Maybe the walking is a blessing in disguise, since it sounds like you have been eating quite nicely on the trip.
Almost over and we are sure there will be alot to share, pictures etc. when you get back.
See you at the airport on Sunday.
Love Mom & Dad
OK Sue - I'll ask the question - why couldn't you have RIDDEN those camels up hill and down?? Sounds like you guys had a fabulous trip - so happy for you! Happy Summer without your BRMS friends. Becky
ReplyDeleteSue and Paul - I could close my eyes and feel as if I am there. I can only imagine what your seeing and the photos will be spectacular.
ReplyDeleteEnjoy
Denise
i'm glad to hear that poppie liked the cards :) and i could imagine it being one of the best fathers days just being there. i hope your trip continues to be as amazing as it sounds like its been so far!! love you and thinking about you daily.
ReplyDelete-cory & gabe
Hi sue Its mary your friend at BMRS Becky doesnt want you to miss us but we miss you Mary
ReplyDelete