Tuesday, May 5, 2009

A shot in the arm

Who would have thought there was so many choices in the shots you can get to go to Africa? Sue and I went to the doctor's today to get the shots we need for the trip and the choices seemed endless. Here's what we chose.
Yellow fever. There's a shortage of Yellow fever vaccine and it only comes in vials of 5 doses. We have to reschedule for when they can find 3 other patients that need the vaccine too.
Malaria. Oral course of 23 pills. $8 - $10 dollars a pill, times 2 people...yikes!
Hepatitis A. Shot in the arm
Hepatitis B. Recommended if you're planning on getting tattoos, piercings or pick up a new sex partner in Africa. Uh, we'll skip it (at least that's what I told Sue)
Meningitis. Where we're going isn't in the Meningitis Band. Who knew? We'll skip it
Polio. Shot in the arm (Sue wishes for the sugar cube)
Typhoid. Course of 6 pills taken every other day. Good for 5 years!
Tetanus/Diphtheria. Yes for Sue, no for me (I got mine a few months ago)
Influenza. Shot in the arm. Not proven to work against Swine Flu.
Prescriptions for another antibiotic in case the Imodium doesn't work in curing the travelers diarrhea that seems inevitable.

Besides the shots and pills, we received a bunch of precautions that seem designed to discourage anyone from traveling to Africa: Drink only bottled water, no ice, no salads, only peeled fruit, no raw foods, don't go in the water (parasites), don't walk barefoot, lotion with 25% DEET (Dengue Fever), Permethrin (insect repellent for clothing), long pants and sleeves, etc etc. Are we such a risk averse society, or are we (OK, am I) so ignorant of the levels of disease outside our little cocoon? Probably a little of each, I suppose.

5 comments:

  1. My bill for all my shots/pills was $500+ before I went to Tanzania. None of it covered by my Blue Cross :-( And don't forget that 6 months after that 1st Hepatitis A shot, you have to get another or you are not fully protected!!!!

    I did not have ice or salads while I was there. but others in our group did because they were told that the nice tented camps only use purified water in the kitchen. 4 out of 10 of them did get sick - I did not. My advice - drink beer, wine or scotch NOT on the rocks!!! We picked up a nice bottle of single malt as we went through Amsterdam - it was nice for sitting out on our porch/deck in the evening.
    Mary T

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul, Sue - Wow!! Pretty exciting. However, with all the precautions, shots and hassles involved I think I will experience it through your vivid blog postings. That will likely be enough excitement for me. Gary T

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paul and Sue - This is awesome. But I will keep updated on your experiences from the Jersey Shore.........

    The only shots I will be receiving will be via the bartender!

    Godspeed....

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...shots so you don't get sick $300-
    ...pills so you don't get sick $200-
    ...Once in a lifetime trip to Africa, for his lovely wife, planned by a wonderful husband PRICELESS!!!
    Although I think i would have bakced out after hearing all the pills and shots you ugys had to have, I am proud you 2 did not back out and cant wait to hear and see all the details when you return......Mellie Mel

    ReplyDelete
  5. We wanted to wish you a safe and enjoyable trip. Lee & Doreen

    ReplyDelete